A man with COVID-19 who evaded Victorian authorities has been busted by Queensland Police after he attempted to enter the state.
According to The Courier Mail, the man has been identified as prominent ex-Mongols bikie Shane Bowden.
Police at a press conference said the man “who is known to them” arrived in Brisbane on flight JQ560 at 9.19am on Monday, where he was met by police. He has since been taken into hotel quarantine.
“He tested positive in Victoria some time ago and authorities attempted to locate the 48-year-old,” Deputy Premier Steven Miles said.
Contact tracing is underway for the flight, with Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski confirming a criminal investigation into “a number of serious charges” had also begun.
“It appears he has provided untrue information on the border declaration pass,” Mr Gollschewski said.
“The criminal investigation is now underway for serious offences, as well as failing to properly declare when entering Queensland.
- Two of the 15 individuals charged in the Project Skylark province-wide drug bust last year are now done with the courts
- An ongoing dispute turned violent at a motorcycle club meeting
- State and federal agencies are joining the investigation into what officials described as a “mass shooting” that injured at least 11 people at motorcycle club
- Police are cracking down on the Hells Angels biker gang banning some members from entering bars and clubs
- Over 11 people are recovering after bullets flew in what officials are calling a mass shooting at a Grenada biker club overnight.
“This is going to be completely and thoroughly investigated by Queensland authorities with help from our Victorian counterparts.”
Mr Gollschewski confirmed the 84 other passengers on the flight were in hotel quarantine.
He said it was disappointing that despite the majority of Queenslanders doing the right thing, some continued to try to “beat the system.”
“Since the beginning of our COVID operations, we’ve issued 2200 fines,” he said.
“That’s regrettable… but we know in the big scheme, most people have been cooperative.”
No charges have yet been laid, however Bowden remains in hotel quarantine under police guard.