A man with COVID-19 who evaded Victorian authorities has been busted by Queensland Police after he attempted to enter the state.
According to The Courier Mail, the man has been identified as prominent ex-Mongols bikie Shane Bowden.
Police at a press conference said the man “who is known to them” arrived in Brisbane on flight JQ560 at 9.19am on Monday, where he was met by police. He has since been taken into hotel quarantine.
“He tested positive in Victoria some time ago and authorities attempted to locate the 48-year-old,” Deputy Premier Steven Miles said.
Contact tracing is underway for the flight, with Deputy Commissioner Steve Gollschewski confirming a criminal investigation into “a number of serious charges” had also begun.
“It appears he has provided untrue information on the border declaration pass,” Mr Gollschewski said.
“The criminal investigation is now underway for serious offences, as well as failing to properly declare when entering Queensland.
- State’s Attorney’s Office filed a motion this week asking a judge to prevent first-degree murder defendant from calling an expert witness
- The Sons of Silence Motorcycle Club
- Woman is facing charges after police say she beat another woman inside a bar- wives of men who are in the Pagans motorcycle gang.
- Hells Angel & Gangster Maurice (Mom) Boucher
- A former London man whose home was struck by gunfire during a turf battle between the Hells Angels gunned down
“This is going to be completely and thoroughly investigated by Queensland authorities with help from our Victorian counterparts.”
Mr Gollschewski confirmed the 84 other passengers on the flight were in hotel quarantine.
He said it was disappointing that despite the majority of Queenslanders doing the right thing, some continued to try to “beat the system.”
“Since the beginning of our COVID operations, we’ve issued 2200 fines,” he said.
“That’s regrettable… but we know in the big scheme, most people have been cooperative.”
No charges have yet been laid, however Bowden remains in hotel quarantine under police guard.