Motorcycle Rights Foundation
Tracking Autonomous Vehicle Testing
Whether the general public knows it or not, autonomous vehicles (AVs) are being tested on our roads every day. The Motorcycle Riders Foundation, as well as other transportation groups, have voiced our concerns about the deployment of these “test vehicles” on our nation’s roadways. In many cases,the type of vehicles being tested, their capabilities and the roads they use has not been public knowledge.
This week, in response to these concerns, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) unveiled a new website that allows individuals to see where autonomous vehicles are being tested. While only a pilot program,the website allows users to see the cities where tests are taking place, the make and model of vehicles, the number of vehicles being tested and, in some cases, the actual streets where the AVs are deployed.
Currently,a limited number of states and manufacturers are participating in the program. The participating companies are Beep, Cruise, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Local Motors, Navya, Nuro, Toyota, Uber, and Waymo,with data available in numerous states.
“Through this initiative, the Department is creating a formal platform for Federal, State, and local government to coordinate and share information in a standard way,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Elaine L. Chao.
- State’s Attorney’s Office filed a motion this week asking a judge to prevent first-degree murder defendant from calling an expert witness
- The Sons of Silence Motorcycle Club
- Woman is facing charges after police say she beat another woman inside a bar- wives of men who are in the Pagans motorcycle gang.
- Hells Angel & Gangster Maurice (Mom) Boucher
- A former London man whose home was struck by gunfire during a turf battle between the Hells Angels gunned down
We encourage you to visit the website and see if AVs are being tested in your town. Feel free to share this information with non-riders as well, since all roadway users will be impacted by the testing of AVs. Remember this data is constantly being updated so check back often.