A Jonesboro man is in custody after driving a motorcycle at a high rate of speed along Ga. Highway 54 on Sept. 24. He was taken into custody after stopping at the intersection at Tyrone Road and losing control of the bike after getting tangled-up with a deputy’s open car door.
Anthony C. Chandler, 22, was charged with reckless driving, fleeing and eluding law enforcement, drag racing, obscured/missing license plate and criminal interference with government property, according to Fayette County Jail records.
Sheriff Barry Babb said a deputy on patrol at approximately 7 p.m. observed two motorcycles, one with no tag, turning onto Ga. Highway 54 from Ebenezer Road, heading toward Fayetteville.
Though the two were somewhat ahead of the deputy, he witnessed them accelerating to speeds at over 100 miles per hour and passing multiple vehicles, driving in and out of the traffic flow in the area of Flat Creek Trail, Babb said.
The deputy notified dispatch, and subsequently came upon the two motorcycles a short distance to the east, having stopped for the traffic light at Tyrone Road.
Babb said while the motorcycles were stopped at the light, the deputy pulled his patrol unit in front of the bikes, and exited his vehicle to approach the two.
- Fourth suspicious fire at a property linked to the family of an alleged Hells Angels member.
- New York National Guard member has pleaded guilty to manslaughter in connection with the disappearance two years ago of a Saratoga County biker
- Protected: You get what you deserve. Stop crying about the choices you made.
- Police tell hells angels to cover up tattoos
- A full-patch member of the Hells Angels will get another shot at renewing his firearms license.
It was at that point that Chandler attempted to accelerate from a stopped position, quickly striking the deputy’s open car door and losing balance, then steering to the left and striking the second motorcycle, which in turn struck another vehicle at the intersection, Babb explained.
Chandler was taken into custody, while the second biker fled on foot. Deputies are in process of determining that man’s identity, Babb said.