WATERLOO — Months before he was shot and killed at an unlicensed private club early Saturday, Da’Curious (Dacarious) T. Burkett was shot and injured outside an unlicensed after-hours club.
Burkett, 22, died last weekend of injuries when gunfire broke out during a birthday party inside the motorcycle club hangout at 501 W. Fourth St. The Saturday shooting also claimed the life of Takeya M. Hogan-Camp, 28, of West Des Moines, and left six others with bullet wounds.
No arrests have been made in the shooting, and police continue to investigate.
Police records show that Burkett was one of several people injured in a string of shootings over the span of two summer weekends, violence police said was connected to parties at a former auto body shop at 114 Edwards St.
Burkett showed up at the UnityPoint-Allen Hospital emergency room with a gunshot wound at about 11:50 p.m. June 12, and police tracked the shooting to the area of Edwards Street and Logan Avenue.
He wouldn’t be the only person to be injured by gunfire in that area.
Hours later, at 3:47 a.m. June 13, a 27-year-old man showed up at an emergency room with a bullet wound from a shooting in the 100 block of Edwards Street.
Then, the following weekend, someone outside the Edwards Street building began shooting around 4:50 a.m. that Sunday. One of the bullets found its way inside and struck a 27-year-old woman, according to police. She was flown to University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in Iowa City for treatment and ultimately survived, police said.
Police cited the building’s owners for after hours violations, and a trial is pending.
- Rumble in the woods motorcycle rally 2021 Biking & Brotherhood
- Final Statement on LIL DAVE and The Mongols MC situation
- Hells Angel pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute and possess with intent to distribute heroin
- Five people were stabbed and a hospital was forced into lockdown after violence exploded between rival motorcycle gangs
- All Things Must Come to an end No More Motorcycle Clubs
No one has been arrested in the June shootings.
Police on Wednesday also released the names of the six others who they say sought treatment at hospitals for gunshot-related injuries from Saturday’s shooting at 501 W. Fourth St. They are:
- Jayvon R. Sanford, 28, of Waterloo, was treated for a gunshot injury to the leg.
- Raymond Lindsey, 22, of Waterloo, was treated for a gunshot injury to the leg.
- Shontavis D. Keller, 31, of Waterloo, was treated for a gunshot injury to the leg.
- Davon T. Biddle, 21, of Waterloo, was treated for a gunshot wound to the hand.
- Natiria U. Whitaker, 28, of Waterloo, was treated for a gunshot wound to the leg.
- Daquaylan L. Smith, 24, of Rock Island, Ill., was treated for a gunshot wound to the ankle.