MARION COUNTY, S.C. (WPDE) — Not long after he was born, Zyon Burton was diagnosed with Fanconi Anemia, a rare genetic disorder that caused his bone marrow to fail.
After hearing Burton’s story, it prompted the Blue Fire Motorcycle Club to choose him as a part of their annual C.A.U.S.E in the fight campaign.
On Saturday, the club held their charity walk and ride in Florence to raise money for Burton’s future treatments. Biker clubs from across the Pee Dee came out to show their support.
“We can’t save everybody, but we try to help a family out every year to try to make sure at least one year is a little more comfortable than the last,” said Blue Fire MC President, Tyrone Samuel.
- Elkford man assaulted for allegedly wearing Hells Angels vest
- Florida motorcycle club holds 15th annual memorial ride honoring fallen officers
- Members of the Hells Angels and their associates are among 28 suspects charged with nearly 300 criminal charges
- Supreme Court judge says police did not have sufficient grounds to search a Hells Angels clubhouse
- Two members of a motorcycle club that supports the Hells Angels have been found liable for damages after assaulting and threatening a man.
In the past, the club would choose adults but organizers would later decide to switch to kids knowing that kids should never have to go through that kind of pain.
They hope the campaign gives kids like Zyon a chance to forget about being sick and just focus on being a kid.
“If they do have cancer their life is not over. They can still move forward and move on with their life,” said Jalisa Rowell.
Burton’s grandmother, Pamela Robinson was taken back by the overwhelming support.
“I’m really thankful that he has so much love and support. I didn’t know it was going to come out like this but I’m happy,” said Robinson.
After years of waiting, the Maryland native had a successful bone marrow transplant over the summer. But for Zyon and his family, it’s still an uphill battle.
As the event was coming to a close and bikes rode off, each person was there to show Zyon he is not in this fight alone.