Blair Ensor, Sam Sherwood and Lee Kenny-stuff.co.nz
A Tribesmen MC is dead after a motorcycle crash in North Canterbury.
The man was riding in convoy with about 70 other members of the motorcycle club when his Harley-Davidson collided with an oncoming car on Omihi Rd (SH1), Hurunui, about 1.5 kilometres south of Greta Valley, about 7.50am on Monday.
He died at the scene.
Stuff understands the man was en route to Picton to catch a ferry back to the North Island.
About 80 Tribesmen MC members from all over the country rode into Christchurch on Friday as part of a national gathering.
They stayed at the Heartland Hotel Cotswold on Papanui Rd, Merivale, after being rejected by at least two other accommodation providers.
On Saturday, members of the gang were seen riding en masse in Christchurch and surrounding areas, such as Lyttelton.
They drove past Christchurch Men’s Prison, where many of the local chapter, including president Elder Browne, are in custody.
- State’s Attorney’s Office filed a motion this week asking a judge to prevent first-degree murder defendant from calling an expert witness
- The Sons of Silence Motorcycle Club
- Woman is facing charges after police say she beat another woman inside a bar- wives of men who are in the Pagans motorcycle gang.
- Hells Angel & Gangster Maurice (Mom) Boucher
- A former London man whose home was struck by gunfire during a turf battle between the Hells Angels gunned down
It’s thought there was also a patching ceremony for new members at the weekend.
Do you know more? Email email@example.com
Detective Inspector Michael Ford said police learned about a fortnight ago that Tribesmen gang members were coming to Christchurch en masse.
Additional staff, including some from other police districts, were rostered on to keep a close eye on them.
Ford said there were no major issues that could be linked to the gang over the weekend.
He declined to comment about the crash.
The Cotswold Hotel declined to comment about the gang, but said they were “well behaved”.
In recent years, the Tribesmen gang has been considered a dominant player in Christchurch’s underworld.