Ben O’Shea PerthNow
Don’t be fooled by the image published on the weekend of The West Australian chief reporter Ben Harvey enjoying a Mr Whippy with infamous WA underworld figure Troy Mercanti, there is nothing sweet about the reality of being in a bikie gang.
As someone who has reported on the activities of bikies in this State for years, Harvey knows better than most what such a life entails, and told The West Live today it is also no bed of roses for the police tasked with bringing them to justice.
The reporter heard from some of those police officers after his exclusive interview with the bikie appeared in The West Australian on Saturday, with the coppers keen to ensure their side of the story wasn’t forgotten
“The Gang Crimes Squad are, without a doubt, the toughest cops that we have on the beat in Western Australia, probably in Australia,” Harvey said.
“They basically bust bikies, that’s what they do; they gather intelligence and they spend their days and their nights rolling around in their cars making life unbearable for patched members and nominees of our dozen or so bikie squads.”
Within this squad is a crack unit called the Gang Response Team, and Harvey said if you ever find yourself pulled over by officers with the letters “GRT” on their uniforms you better be polite or you’ll “have a very bad day”.
- Pagans’ Associate Pleads Guilty to Trafficking Cocaine and Illegally Possessing Firearms and Ammunition
- Two men charged with the murder of Outlaws leader
- Street fight between some Alberta Hells Angels and rivals from the Rebels motorcycle gang came as biker clubs have taken to the road again
- Outlaw biker and street gang activity in the Army drops dramatically
- Ah OH!!! Skeletor 1%er is mad at Insane Throttle Biker News