By Chuck Goudie and Barb Markoff, Christine Tressel and Ross Weidner
CHICAGO (WLS) — Upper-crust Chicago mobster Mike Sarno is just a sliver of the “made man” he once was, according to what a federal judge in Chicago was told on Wednesday.
Apparent illness has Sarno slimmed down to “under 200 pounds” according to his attorney, after tipping the scale at 350 or more according to estimates over the mob’s more gluttonous years.
These days Sarno hardly lives up to his nickname “the Large Guy” and certainly doesn’t fit the mob moniker he began with as a budding gangster: “Fat Boy.”
Also, the career hoodlum is promising to eschew an Outfit life he enjoyed for decades if he is let out of prison early on “compassionate release,” his attorney pledged during a court hearing.
Sarno, 63, became a “made man” — or wiseguy as Hollywood likes to refer to official blood-oath inductees to the crime syndicate — years ago, according to mobologists.
As the I-Team first reported in September, Sarno was denied compassion release on COVID-19 grounds even though his attorney John Chwarzynski made a case that the mobster’s health was in such a free-fall that that contracting coronavirus behind bars would be tantamount to a death sentence.
During Wednesday’s virtual court hearing on a renewed motion for release, the COVID get-out-of-jail card was taken off the table when it was revealed that Sarno recently had the second of two vaccine shots at the U.S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners in Springfield, Missouri where he is now housed. Sarno continues to suffer from a long list of maladies from head to toe. He is “severely deteriorating,” Chwarzynski told the judge on Wednesday.
- Pagans’ Associate Pleads Guilty to Trafficking Cocaine and Illegally Possessing Firearms and Ammunition
- Two men charged with the murder of Outlaws leader
- Street fight between some Alberta Hells Angels and rivals from the Rebels motorcycle gang came as biker clubs have taken to the road again
- Outlaw biker and street gang activity in the Army drops dramatically
- Ah OH!!! Skeletor 1%er is mad at Insane Throttle Biker News