A Mongols bikie gang associate has been killed in a crash near Christchurch.
The crash, involving a car and motorcycle, happened on State Highway 1, Burnham, south of the city, shortly before 10pm on Friday.
Several patched Mongols members were quickly on the scene.
The motorcyclist, Steve Smith, an associate of the gang, died.
* Motorcyclist dies in crash in Burnham, Canterbury
* Police find guns, drugs at the Mongols’ Canterbury gang pad
* Police raid new Canterbury headquarters of Mongols MC gang
It’s thought they’d been riding in convoy.
On Saturday, Smith’s partner posted a tribute on social media, describing him as “the most amazing dad” and “our rock”.
“I’m so thankful to love you and share the most precious memories with you,” she said.
The Mongols, an infamous international bikie gang, established a New Zealand chapter in the Bay of Plenty in 2019.
Early last year it expanded into Canterbury, where it set up a headquarters in Burnham.
The gang has many members who have been deported from Australia in recent years.
Its arrival in New Zealand has led to tension in the underworld, including fire bombings and tit for tat shootings.
- HELLS ANGELS MC UNDER SCRUTINY | ANOTHER MOTORCYCLE CLUB MEMBERS TALK
- The FBI is investigating potential “criminal enterprise activities” of the Vallejo chapter of the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club
- MONGOLS MC | SOME PEOPLE ARE JUST LOCO
- A turf war between the Killer Beez and Tribesmen motorcycle gangs has exploded
- Paramedics airlifted a Clermont man to the hospital after a fiery motorcycle crash Monday evening in White County