NEW HAVEN, CT — The city of New Haven is suing Eastcoastin and its agents Gabriel Canestri, Jr. and Sal Fusco for what it says was an “illegal” September 2021 motorcycle rally. EastCoastin did not have city permits to hold the event, which drew thousands to the Annex.
The city seeks to recoup its costs for the event as part of its suit filed last month.
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker, Assistant Corporation Counsel Blake Sullivan, police Chief Karl Jacobson, Ward 17 Alder Sal Punzo made the announcement Tuesday at City Hall.
“Despite repeated warnings by the City that the event would not be allowed, the Eastcoastin defendants spent months planning and promoting the rally, ultimately drawing more than 5,000 people from all over the country to what was widely known to be an illegal event,” a news release from Elicker reads.
Providing the necessary police protection
Elicker and city officials said at a Tuesday news briefing that, “Providing the necessary police protection and coordination to keep the gathering under control and maintain public safety cost the City over $90,000.”
With this lawsuit, the City is seeking to recoup those costs and to ensure that the defendants are held accountable for their actions and not allowed to profit from an illegal event at the expense of city taxpayers and public safety.
- 7,000 attend funeral for Hells Angels leader Ralph “Sonny” Barger
- Sonny Barger funeral is causing concern with local law enforcement.
- Sin City Deciple won’t face a Lake Criminal Court judge until next year on charges he obstructed justice
- Watch Out for Riders: Tips on sharing the road
- A man convicted in the motorcycle dragging death of Johnny Gregory Jr. was sentenced to life in prison