By James “Hollywood” Macecari
One of the best and most looked forward events for a biker is a rally. Unfortunately, rallies and other motorcycle events can bring trouble with them. With that in mind, here are some tips in order for you to enjoy your next rally.
1.Always do a walk around the event– You want to make sure you get the layout of the atmosphere and the exits you can take in case you need to.
2. Motorcycle Security- This is unfortunate but many motorcycles are stolen at large and small rallies and events. For this reason you might want to take steps to make sure you have some level of security on your motorcycle. It’s true, lifting motorcycles are easy, I’ve seen it done in under 30 seconds. The point of security is you want to deter the thief. Some of the measures you can take are grip and wheel locks, a good motorcycle alarm, most important you will want to get a GPS tracker. It sucks that fellow bikers would steal someone else’s motorcycle but that is the world we live in today.
3. Alcohol- Always keep an eye on how the party is going. Drunks cause the most problems at an event because they get beer muscles. I know many of you have experienced a drunk with beer muscles and you have to act first. Acting first before the situation gets out of hand where your safety is at stake is imperative. Some of the actions you can take are simply walking away. Another action you can take is verbal judo, (talk regular while they are yelling, usually they eventually come down.) The most important action is to knock the hell out of them if they invade your space.
4. Look for weapons- This is especially true in a concealed carry state. Besides looking for guns, knives are the biggest issue. Bikers love carrying knives and some will carry oversized buck knives for intimidation. Make sure you’re aware of what those around you are carrying.
5. Motorcycle Clubs– One of the most important things you need to know is what motorcycle clubs are at the event. Most problems occur when competing motorcycle clubs are at an event. Personally, most motorcycle clubs keep to themselves unless messed with, but there is always that tension in the air. This is especially true if two opposing clubs are at the same event. If a situation starts going down walk the other way. You don’t want to be caught in the crossfire.
6. Don’t party too hard where you can’t safely ride your motorcycle– This is the biggest issue at rallies, especially big rallies. People will get drunk or high and next thing they do is jump on their motorcycle, which is no good. Reaction time is almost nothing and most of the time you will end up in a guardrail or front of a vehicle head on. If you ever catch up on the news of rallies, you will see all the motorcycle fatalities because of partying to much.
7. Don’t overdo it on speed or horsing around– Sturgis, Daytona and the other major rallies have terrain you might not know. Speeding or horsing around on terrain you don’t know can lead to an accident real quick.
8. Stay with your ole lady– You never want to let your ole lady walk off on her own. Bikers are high testosterone and situations can present themselves where your lady can be harassed or worse. Women also can cause many intense situations so be mindful.
9.Motels and Hotels– Make sure to spend the extra money if you plan on staying in one. Always get a first floor room where you can park your bike right in front of the window. Don’t forget to take your belongings with you.
10. Rain-gear– I know it’s uncool, but rain gear will save you from those beautiful pelts, rain gives you while riding. Make sure if you’re staying in a tent, bring a tarp to string up to keep your bike dry.
Going to a motorcycle event such as a rally or a show can be the best time you can have as a biker. With preparation you ensure your happiness doesn’t turn into a nightmare. Don’t forget to head on over to Insane Throttle YouTube Channel for videos relating to everything biker.