FLOWOOD, Miss. —
One person was killed Sunday as a result of a police chase that began in Pearl and ended in Flowood.
Pearl public information officer Greg Flynn said a Pearl police officer tried to make a traffic stop about 6:30 p.m. Sunday on a 2009 Silver Infiniti near the intersection of Bierdeman Road and Highway 80, when the vehicle took off. The officer pursued the sedan driven by Ryan Irwin into Flowood, where police there joined the chase.
Flynn said Irwin pulled into the parking lot behind Academy Sports on Flowood Drive. The officer followed, got out of his patrol car and held Irwin at gunpoint “ordering him to exit the vehicle.” Irwin then backed up and took off onto Flowood Drive, where Flowood officers pursued him.
The chase ended when the vehicle that was being pursued crashed into a motorcycle driven by Steven Pearson and wrecked in the grass at the Fleetway Market gas station, authorities said.
Rankin County coroner David Ruth said Pearson, 47, of Vicksburg, was killed in the crash.
Pearl police, Flowood police, the Rankin County Sheriff’s office and the Flowood Fire Department responded to the scene.
- 7,000 attend funeral for Hells Angels leader Ralph “Sonny” Barger
- Sonny Barger funeral is causing concern with local law enforcement.
- Sin City Deciple won’t face a Lake Criminal Court judge until next year on charges he obstructed justice
- Watch Out for Riders: Tips on sharing the road
- A man convicted in the motorcycle dragging death of Johnny Gregory Jr. was sentenced to life in prison